What to Expect
Your visits to Equilibrium:
Whether it's back pain, neck pain, headache, injury or other aches and pains, we need a complete picture of your health history and overall current health in order to provide the best possible treatment for you.
Set aside at least 30-60 minutes for your first visit with us.
(Click here if you'd like to download, print out, and complete this form before your visit.)
Future visits typically last 15 minutes or less, though the time required will depend upon the type of treatment you require. Here’s what you might expect.
On your first visit, we will undertake a thorough intake evaluation which may include the following:
- personal and family medical history
- major illnesses you have experienced
- surgeries or operations you have had
- medications you are taking
- a description of your present condition
- the steps you have taken to manage your condition
- your diet and exercise
- your sleeping habits, daily activities, work routine, stress level, and home life
What to wear:
It is a good idea to wear comfortable clothes and shoes for your visits to Equilibrium. If necessary, we may ask you to change into a clinic gown (that we will provide) to perform some of these tests:
- a test of your reflexes, strength and sensations
- an analysis of your posture
- an analysis of your movement — your clinician will observe how you walk, turn, bend or lift things, as well as how your body moves in the affected area
- a hands-on evaluation of how well your spine moves, identifying restrictions and areas of improper motion
Tip: Bring a copy of any X-rays or radiology reports you have. These assessments give us a better picture of your complete health. We will thoroughly evaluate your condition and make a diagnosis, prescribe a course of treatment, and once the matter of informed consent has been discussed, treatment usually begins immediately.
If we find a condition more appropriately treated by another health care professional, we will suggest and/or make a referral.
Stages of care:
- Relief care is provided for relief of immediate pain, restricted mobility and discomfort. Depending on the diagnosis, your age, physical condition, how long you have had the current complaint, and previous injuries, a few or several visits over a relatively short period of time may be necessary.
- Corrective care treats conditions that are more severe, recurring or that have existed with or without pain for some time. These may require a longer, more complex period of care. Once the severity of your condition has decreased through relief care, corrective care helps to restore normal function to your spine, muscles, supporting tissues and the nerves affected by them.
- Supportive or maintenance care helps you maintain and preserve the benefits you’ve achieved from relief and corrective care. At Equilibrium, we are trained to detect conditions in their early stages, often before you feel pain or reduced mobility. Continuing to work with your us and having periodic spinal check-ups and treatments, if needed, will keep your spine as healthy as possible. We will work with you to find a maintenance schedule that suits your condition, health care goals, and lifestyle.
At Equilibrium, regardless of the stage of care, our recommended strategies will often include recommendations regarding exercise, diet and other healthy living suggestions to help keep you healthy and strong.
We will also discuss a schedule of care, which will depend on your specific circumstances. For some people, chiropractic treatment is like a regular tune-up, to help deal with the daily wear and tear of life. For others, it’s simply an effective treatment when pain or discomfort strikes.
Please feel free to take the time to discuss the treatment plan with us, and ask any questions you may have.
Call today to book an appointment at Equilibrium. We are accepting new patients and hope to see you soon.